Designed to be a lighter Sazerac, this cocktail keeps one ounce of spicy rye and is fortified with higher proof gin and orange bitters to create a more spring/summer appropriate version of the New Orleans classic.
1 1/4 oz Gin
1 oz Rye
2 Demerara Sugar Cubes (or 1/2 oz Demerara Simple Syrup)
4-5 dash Peychaud’s Bitters
2 dash Orange Bitters
- Place sugar cubes in a thick-bottomed cocktail mixing glass. Dash bitters over sugar. Using a muddler, grind the sugar into the bitters until it has become one, smooth liquid texture.
- Add ice. Allow to proof for 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Rinse a glass with absinthe and set aside. be sure not to leave any liqueur sitting in the bottom of the glass.
- Stir cocktail well for about 10 seconds. Strain into the absinthe-rinsed glass.
- Express a lemon peel over the surface of the drink and enjoy!